Yesterday, Correio da Manhã revealed the investigation being carried out by the Judiciary Police on the enticement of Rio Ave players, to lose against Benfica.
Benfica reacted in a statement on its official website:
1) Sport Lisboa e Benfica is totally unaware of the existence of this process;
2) denies any involvement of the club in this situation and ensures that all those responsible for promoting and publicizing this slander will be criminally liable;
3) a more careful investigation is sufficient to prove the falsity of this complaint taking into account that of the four players invoked, one was in Spain, another was not called (was punished by accumulation of yellow cards) and the other two were curiously indicated by the generality of the critic as of the best ones in field on the part of the Rio Ave;
4) this news is part of a vast campaign that was set up to raise suspicions, denigrate the image of Sport Lisboa and Benfica and the merit of their sports victories, in a rather crude way, in which the facts themselves and involved are created, even if they were not even playing in the opposing clubs and these anticipated stories in the social networks associated with rival clubs, proving the origin of these anonymous denunciations;
5) Sport Lisboa e Benfica expects that the authorities and the justice will carry out their work for the quick and thorough clarification of this manipulation;
6) you can be sure that all these situations will have a strong response on the part of Sport Lisboa and Benfica, which will go to the final consequences to dismantle this entire cabal campaign and hold its perpetrators accountable.
On the various points the following comments:
1) Not all investigations are done in the light of day.
2) Accused criminally in the same way as those who downloaded the e-mails? Justice that was made by Benfica’s own hands?
3) Yes, indeed the news of Correio da Manhã was wrong because Nadjack was not part of the Rio Ave squad at the time of the facts. However, Roderick Miranda could have been cheered weeks before he was suspended for yellowing. So the theory of Benfica at this point falls. And it’s not because Cassio and Marcelo made a show they could not have made easier in a few parts of the game. You need only one goal to win a game. And just trying to entice players is a crime. One more theory that fell apart.
4) Sorry? Denigrate the image of Sport Lisboa e Benfica? A little rough? Even Benfica’s lawyer said that some e-mail exchanges could be considered influence peddling.
5) Already tired of the same conversation of quickness.
6) Re-read point 2).
If there were doubts, Francisco J. Marques indirectly confirmed that this situation was right.
O melhor estava para vir…
— Francisco J. Marques (@FranciscoMarkes) 29 de dezembro de 2017
“the best was to come.”